All 8th Grade Students will be taking the EXPLORE test on Thursday, September 18th at 7:50 a.m.
The EXPLORE test is an 8th grade version of the ACT (a college entrance exam) and helps students prepare for the PLAN and ACT tests students take in 10th and 11th grade. There are 4 sections of the test that will each be timed for 30 minutes; English, Math, Reading, and Science. These test scores will be reviewed in your 8th grade PCCR/SEOP meeting with your counselor. The EXPLORE results help students prepare for high school course work and post-secondary decisions.
8th grade students will attend a EXPLORE Test Assembly on Monday, September 15th during their TA class to have a better understanding of the EXPLORE Test and its importance. If you would like to see a copy of the powerpoint given to students - please click here.
What is the EXPLORE Test like?
The EXPLORE Test is very similar to the ACT test students take in their Junior and Senior years of high school.
EXPLORE includes four multiple-choice tests covering English, mathematics, reading, and science—the same subjects covered by the ACT test.
How Should I Prepare?
We ask that students prepare for the test by:
- Getting a good nights rest (the test takes the majority of the morning totals 2 hours of testing. Being well rested will help students be focused during the test and able to do their best.)
- Eating a good breakfast (Students will be testing or receiving testing instructions for over 2 hours of testing with only a few minutes of break time. Having a full stomach will help students focus and do their best on the test.)
- Arrive on time to school (Students who arrive late will NOT be able to test, but will be required to make up the test on a later date. Most likely the Friday or week following the test.)
WHY take the Test? See attached FLYER
See attached FLYER (In Spanish)
Students will be provided:
- Testing Booklet
- Testing Answer Sheet
- Scratch Paper (if needed, students are encouraged to make notes in their testing booklet)
Students Should NOT bring/Will NOT be able to use:
- Cell Phones - Not Permitted (they will be taken if seen)
- Unapproved Calculating Device (Using watches/phones as a calculator)
Students are generally not permitted to leave the test/testing location unless under extenuating circumstances. Short breaks will be provided half way through the testing.
If you have a conflict this day and know that you are going to checkout or come late to school, please call the counseling center to arrange makeup testing before hand. 801-412-2356
This test is a great opportunity for students to prepare themselves to take the ACT. The testing results will give them a great idea of their strengths and weaknesses and ways they can improve for the PLAN/ACT.
You will have a meeting with your counselor to go over in detail the EXPLORE Testing results later in the school year.